Sunday, September 2, 2012

Day 1 - Travel Coast to Coast

First, a special thanks to Cindy for waking up early on a Sunday to get me to the airport.  The worst part of the trip was checking in.  I'm not sure why US Air didn't expect a boat load of people during 1) a holiday weekend and 2) for the non-stop to Charlotte, but let's just say there weren't enough agents to check people in.  Speaker Perez was on my flight, although he wasn't sitting in first class like I was ;-)  (got to use those miles early!).  Spent most of the trip trying to arrange the schedule for the rest of this week and putting it in the iphone so that I know what's happening where and when.  Other than a little bumpy landing (they're still getting fallout from Isaac) it was a completely uneventful flight.  As I stopped to "take care of business" after the long flight, I suddenly remembered what happened after the plane landed in Denver 4 years ago.  As I stepped up to the wall, I turned and looked to my right and there next to me was Dan Rather!  So far, no celebrity sightings this time around, neither in nor out of the bathroom.  But one thing you couldn't miss were the volunteers.  They were everywhere, incredibly helpful and very friendly.  Boy, there's a lot to be said for southern hospitality.  There are also police everywhere, most of the time in groups of 3 or more.  Let's hope they have a  very boring week ahead of them.

Another thanks to my fellow delegate Max Kanin, who picked an awesome restaurant called Mert's Heart and Soul.  I'm no expert on Southern soul food, but this was an amazing experience.  Just a little more incentive to try to get that run in tomorrow morn before the day starts and doesn't stop.  Had a nice peaceful walk home past some of the sights you'll see later this week - the desk locations for MSNBC, CNN and Fox News, The NASCAR Hall of Fame, The Convention Center and the Time Warner Cable Arena.  Beautiful night for a nice walk.  Waiting on my roommate to show up, a La Jolla delegate.  Seems like a nice enough gentleman, although I've only spoken to him once and traded emails a few times. 

Tomorrow is the start of a very busy week. Most excited about b'fast with the CA delegation (speakers included John Lewis and Nancy Pelosi) and the Carolinafest events including James Taylor. But more on that tomorrow.  Tonight's an early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment